Cost of Living Index
Understanding the graph:
- The graph above provides an index for the two counties participating in C2ER’s Cost of Living Index. An index is calculated each quarter where 100.0 is the United States average (see black dotted line at 100.0).
- The quarterly prices that are collected are compiled each year into quarterly and annual (average of quarterly prices) reports – 2017’s annual indexes are provided above.
- The prices collected to create the index are grouped into 6 categories: grocery, healthcare, housing, miscellaneous goods and services, transportation, and utilities. These 6 categories together create a composite index, shown above as the first category.
- Fond du lac County (WI) and Dubuque County (IA) both have a composite cost of living lower than the United States average.
- Fond du Lac County (WI) stands out in that healthcare here is very much above the national average.
- Fond du Lac County (WI) scored above Dubuque County (IA) in all categories aside from transportation.
Source: Council for Community and Economic Research‹‹ Back to Economy